Tuesday, March 27, 2007

PS1 Arthur Danto Art Asia Pacific and dictatorial algorithmic censorship



So as I sit here listening to PS1 radio, briefly depressed and perplexed by the fact that my blog has somehow offended someone in this country to the point that it’s been censored (as has my own art website www.mabz.net for the same unknown reason or algorithmic formula that has left us high and dry in webland), and hearing a forum conducted at PS1 on something to the effect of :”The crisis in art criticism” where on the one side there was the argument that there is indeed no “true” criticism left (which is as much the critics fault as it is the audiences and the publication’s in their tendency to cater to an increasingly dumbed down, market driven art world) while on the other side Arthur Danto and a bunch of headies bantered back that there is the lack of a crisis, that criticism still exists (at least for him- who is of a generation that can publish virtually anything he wants at this point and still be consumed OR as one panel member noted “seen” as in, “Oh I saw your article in Art in America or I saw your catalog essay … like Oh I saw your exhibition as I drove by the gallery”. In the end everyone basically agreed that not many people read art criticism for fun except maybe other critics or the artists that are being written about and even then, it’s not fun. Either way it was reassuring to have WPS1 and it’s entropic discourse blaring through my iTunes in a small attic flat1000000 miles away in a country that will censor me but not PS1MoMA. Another notable point of the above mentioned discussion was that one of the anonymous panelists (I tuned in late – after everyone was introduced) pontificated, everytime the mic landed in his hands, about the dynamic, exciting, vanguard art world in Asia, in particular China. He lauded the efforts by ArtAsia Pacific magazine (for which I have written for many times in an age when no one noticed what was going on in Asia – very much like this blog now) and their devoted attention to an increasingly commendable scene which all seemed a bit ironic sitting here in the pinko land that has censored me and my attention to the same scene while tuned in to an elitist NY discussion about crisis in arts publication… Go figure.

(BTW- ArtAsia Pacific is available at some specialized bookstores here as is the rest of the lot: Art Forum, Art in America, Flash Art, Parkett, Penthouse, etc. though they are usually a month or two late)

No comments: